Pop Korean

Call me a follower or easily influenced if you must, but I am loving this song. I’m not ashamed to admit it either.

In nerdy fashion, I had to find out what the meaning was behind the song. Some may not know the answer to that inquiry. To that I say, “You know not because you ask not Google.”

Click here to go to the full article.  If you don’t feel like reading it all for yourself, here is a brief synopsis:

• Gangnam is a high falooting neighbourhood in Seoul, Korea.  Directly translated, it means “south of the river”.
  • An apartment there will cost you nearly 3/4 of a million dollars
  • Most of the residents are “new money”, so it is littered with flashy, flaunting excess.
  • the song is a parody of the wealth and pomp of the neighbourhood
  • Oppan Gangnam style roughly means “speaking of oppa (=me), I like the Gangnam style life.”  Thank you, My Dear Korea for the language lesson!

You may now consider it safe to sing along to the song and learn a little Korean.  You won’t be saying any bad words, or embarrassing yourself anymore than you would be if – say – you danced like you were riding a horse.

Gangnam Style.

10 thoughts on “Pop Korean

1. Di says:

Thanks for making me cooler/more relevant. There’s a poster up at school with this dude on it AND someone in a class mentioned Gangnam Style – I had no idea what they were all about…until NOW!!

Please feel free to continue posting about the current trends. Very helpful.

You can always count on me, Di. I’ve got your back.

3. Lori says:

I think the hip thrusting in the elevator scene is an attention grabber… A reminder to me to preview YouTube without kids. Oops. Ha!

I find it very catchy – Ellen show has had the singer on a couple of times. My favorite move is the shuffle he does while moving around in a circle – so funny!

Yes, Youtube viewing should be done first without children around. I learned that lesson with Failblog. Funny, but not always kid-appropriate.

5. Faith says:

I love watching Gangnam. Thank you for the education

6. BCGirl says:

I quite enjoy his little side-dance-shuffle move LOL!

*shaking head* No. Just…no.

8. marilyn says:

Wow, currently in Korea and now I know why
    that video is played ad-nauseum on the transit. Yes, wealth and shiny cars do abound in Gangnam and around.

I’m glad that I could help make sense of what is going on around you! I read in the paper today that a company is offering free insight into the meaning behind the song, as long as you register for their product. I’m thinking that I should write in to the editor and direct people here. Information, really for free. Are you having fun in Korea?

10. fiona says:

I heard it was totally tongue in cheek and he was kinda making fun of the flashy people. He said something about doing cheesy dancing while dressing classy. Haha! I like it!